Wednesday, November 2, 2011

An Oasis in the desert of Central Asia

Turpan is the second-lowest place on Planet Earth - only the Dead Sea is lower.
This is a true oasis in the desert, where countless varieties of grapes are grown, along with figs, dates, pomegranates, and melons.

One of the grape-drying houses that cover the countryside in Turpan.



Raisins on the vine

Turpan's most famous grape is the Sultana - the sweetest, most delicious grapes (and raisins!) I've ever tasted!

Different varieties of raisin at one of of the marketplaces
Dried apricots, raisins, dates, and nuts. Nom nom! 


2 comments:

  1. Betcey, these are beautiful images and great background info! I love that you are sharing your recent journey with us here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Drea!
    We did so much, and saw so much that I can't even begin to touch on it all. I still have hundreds and hundreds of pictures I haven't gone thru . . . hence, the very sporadic postings!
    <3

    ReplyDelete